Maccabiah Opening Ceremony
Photo: Maccabiah Archives. The original B&W photograph was painted for this exhibition
Photo: Itamar Grinberg
Ninety years ago, in the year 1932, the 1st Maccabiah was held, with 390 sportsmen and sportswomen from 18 countries competing. 2,500 gymnasts participated in the opening ceremony exercises show in the “Maccabiah Stadium,” the first sports stadium in the Land of Israel. The construction of the stadium in the Yarkon estuary in north Tel Aviv was completed the night before the opening of the games. Eighty-five years later, at the 20th Maccabiah, more than 9,000 sportsmen and sportswomen from 80 countries competed. The opening ceremony took place in Teddy Stadium in Jerusalem before 30,000 spectators.