Last Update 07-12-2016
a. The Cycling committee of the 20th Maccabiah will be responsible for the Cycling races of the 20th Maccabiah.
b. The Cycling races – Road, TT - will be conducted according to the rules of the UCI. (International Cycling Union)
c. Participation in the races is open to any athlete who is in possession of a Participant card, issued by the Organization committee of the 20th Maccabiah and is registered in the Cycling or Triathlon competition.
d. Each country may register up to a maximum of eight (8) riders for each of the six (6) age groups for male and three (3) age groups for female competitions.
- Official training
An official training on the courses will be held at___________________________ the organization will provide transportation from the hotel, a following car with mechanical support and a first aid kit, and a guide who will lead the rides. The ride will be on roads open to traffic, and riders are responsible for their own water/food for the ride.
- Technical Meeting
A technical meeting for both time trial and road races will be held at the Hotel. A representative from each country will be required to attend. At the meeting organizers will explain the necessary details regarding both races, and distribute race numbers and transponders. Numbers and transponders must be retrned to the organizers at the end of the last day of cycling competition for each participant (after the time trial for riders only racing time trial or after the road race for riders racing both time trial and rad or only road)..
- The following races will be run:
a. INDIVIDUAL TIME TRIAL (ITT) –21 km./13 miles
1) Departure city: Ashdod
2) Arrival city: Ashdod
3) Categories: Male Elite (19+) à 21 km./13 miles
Male 30+ à 21 km./13 miles
Male 40+ à 21 km./13 miles
Male 50+ à 21 km./13 miles
Male 60+à 21 km./13 miles
Male 17-18 à 21 km./13 miles
Female 17-29 à 21 km./13 miles
Female 30-49 à 21 km./13 miles
4) Date: Sunday July 9, 2017
5) Start time: TBD
6) Start every one minute in the reverse order of the categories list (female 50+ starting first and men 19+ starting last). Within each category the start order will be according to a draw. Riders shall not start immediately following another rider representing the same country
7) Type of riders: competitive UCI TT riders
8) The organizing committee will provide water bottles.
9) Referees: according to the Cycling committee
10) For the team competition, the accumulated time of the best rider from each country in five of the following six age categories will be considered: Male 17-18, Male 19-29, Male 30-39, Male 40-49, Male 50-59, Male 60+. Each country's slowest rider of the six will be excluded from the accumulated time. If a country is represented in only five male categories, the time of the best rider in each category will count towards the team's time without excluding the slowest rider. Countries represented in only 4 male categories will rank after countries represented in five or more categories.
b. Road Race – 63 km./39.1 miles 3 laps up to 105 km./65.2 miles 5 laps
1) Departure city: Modiin
2) Arrival city: Modiin
3) Circuit length: 21 km / 13 miles
4) Categories: Male Elite (19+) à 105 km/65.2 miles 5 laps
Male 30-39 à 84 km/52.2 miles 4 laps
Male 40-49 à 84 km/52.2 miles 4 laps
Male 50-59 à 84 km/52.2 miles 4 laps
Male 60+ à 63 km/39.1 miles 3 laps
5) Male 17-18 à 105 km/65.2 miles 5 laps
Female 17-29 à 63 km/39.1 miles 3 laps
Female 30-49 à 63 km/39.1 miles 3 laps
Female 50-59 à 63 km/39.1 miles 3 laps
6) Date: Friday Jul 14, 2017
7) Start: TBD
8) Lapped riders will be pulled out of the race. 15 minutes after the leader in the male 19+ category enters the last lap, all riders crossing the finish line will be pulled and not allowed to continue for another lap.
9) Individual and team competition
10) Technical support will be provided by neutral vehicles
11) Water bottles will be available near start line for teams.
12) Teams may support riders with bottles each lap in the designated zone near the start line only.
13) For the team competition, the accumulated time of the best rider from each country in five of the following six age categories will be considered: Male 17-18, Male 19-29, Male 30-39, Male 40-49, Male 50-59, Male 60+. Each country's slowest rider of the six will be excluded from the accumulated time. If a country is represented in only five male categories, the time of the best rider in each category will count towards the team's time without excluding the slowest rider. Countries represented in only 4 male categories will rank after countries represented in five or more categories.
14) Type of riders: competitive UCI road riders
15) Referees: according to the Cycling committee
REMARK: Female competition will be limited to individual events, only.
There will be NO FEMALE TEAM COMPETITION.
- Venues and Times
The Sport Department will determine the venues and times of the races. Riders and teams will be notified accordingly.
- Age groups
A rider may participate in a younger age group, subject to section 1 (d).
a. The Cycling committee will select a Referees committee, which in turn will appoint the marshals of the races.
b. Electronic equipment will be used to determine placing.
a. These regulations are but one part of the complete 20th Maccabiah regulations, and must be read along with the instructions found in "Basic Regulations and Disciplinary Procedures"
b. In the event of discrepancy between the regulation written here and those appearing in the "Basic Regulations", the regulation written here will apply and be binding.
c. Mountain bike and Road bike rental are optional.
d. The use of helmets is compulsory.
Information about Maccabiah 2017 Cycling Routes
Time trial course
The 20.5 km time trial will be all about speed. The mostly flat, 3-lane-wide and newly-paved asphalt of highway no. 9 south of the city of Hadera (50 km north of Tel Aviv) will provide the perfect setting for a fast race. All riders will race the same distance of 20.5 km regardless of age and gender categories. Riders will start by heading east for 7 km, then make a U-turn and head west for 10 km then make another U-turn and head east again for the final 3 km.
Opened in 2014, road no. 9 is a highway which crosses the orange orchards of the Hefer Valley and connects the old Tel Aviv – Haifa road (road no.4) in the west with the new Trans-Israel highway (road no.6) in the east.
Time trial circuit map and elevation profile
Road Race Course
The 21 km road race circuit begins in the City of Modiin (40 km southeast from Tel Aviv) and passes through the famous Ayalon Valley and the Ayalon Canada Park. With the twists, turns and roundabouts of urban Modiin, the wide flat roads between the vineyards of the Ayalon Valley, the and the narrow and sharp climb and descent in the woodland of the Ayalon Canada Park, this circuit has something for everyone and is best suited for the all-around cyclist.
Riders will cover between 3 and 5 laps of the circuit depending on their age category. Each lap has 367 meters of elevation, with about half of the total elevation gained in one climb within the Ayalon Canada Park halfway through the circuit.
Beyond its sporting quality and beautiful scenery, the course also has value for those interested in Jewish history. The city of Modiin is named after the ancient village of high priest Mattathias and his five sons, the original Maccabim who are the inspiration for the modern Maccabbiah. The 21 km circuit descends from Modiin to the famous Ayalon Valley of Joshua's battle against the Amorite kings ("Sun, stand thou still on Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ayalon" Joshua 10:11-14). The valley was also the location of important battles between the newly formed Israel Defense Force and the Jordanian Legion in the 1948 Israeli War of Independence.
Road race circuit map and elevation profile