The Third Maccabiah: 5711 September 28 to October 11, 1950
- Approximately 800 athletes from 20 countries participated in 17 competitive events.
- The Third Maccabiah was the first to take place in Israel - as an independent state
- For the first time ever, all Jewish athletes were able to participate – including member of Hapoel.
Notable Athlethes and Sports Achievements
- Eliezer Shpiegel, Israeli soccer star of the 1960s and the father of Giora Shpiegel, the future soccer player for Maccabi Tel Aviv;
- Frieda Bearson Lichtbau, Gold Medal winner for the discus throw and mother of Aviv Lichtbau, future track and field competitor and all-star women’s basketball player;
- Tennis player Edith Cohen Mintz, mother of Tanchum Cohen Mintz, a future member of the Maccabi Tel Aviv basketball team and grandmother of Uri Cohen Mintz who now plays basketball for Maccabi Ramat Gan and the Israeli all-star team.
- Wrestler Henry Wittenberg, Gold Medal winner in the London 1948 Olympics.
Joining the Party: Countries who participated for the first time
Say Hello: New Sports Competition
Saying Goodbye: Categories From Previous Maccabiot That Were Left Out
- Table tennis